Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Week 7 - Early Literacy Assessment

Assignment#5: Literacy Assessment
The student that I assessed with is a 5 years old boy called James.

1. For print awareness assessment, I asked James to use his finger to point me the following:

  • Front & back of the book
  • Title of the book
  • Where we should begin to read and the direction of reading text on a passage.
  • A letter & a word 
  • First word & last word in a sentence
  • Punctuation mark 
Assessment result: James can point to all of them correctly except for punctuation which I will assign mini activities to go over most common used punctuation and when to apply these punctuation together, then let James to circle the correct punctuation by himself.

2.  For  phonemic & phonical Awareness assessment,
A)  I gave him a list of words and ask him to pronounce the words one by one:
  • Top
  • Hat
  • Can
  • Bug
  • Kick
  • Stop
  • Teeth
B) Then I put some magnet letters on the table, I read him each of below word slowly and ask him to try choose the letters in right sequence that make up these words. 
  • Day
  • Big
  • Red
  • Fish
  • Let
  • Mom
  • Noon
Assessment result: James got 5/7 correct in Part A & 4/7 correct in Part B.  In these assessment, I found out that James is not familiar with phoneme that made up of 2 letters, such as "th", "sh", "oo", etc. I will prepare a mini lesson and review with him on phoneme by "I do" , " we do","you do"



3) for Fluency assessment: 
I gave James a short paragraph of text to read in which it is for kindergarten reading level. 

Assessment result: 20 WPM which is below grade level and he doesn't read with expression and know how to pause in between punctuation. 
I will have him a simple reading strategy card to remind him some of the rule, such as when we see" ? ", We should change our tone like we are really asking questions, etc.  
I will demonstrate reading the text first, then we will read the same passage again, and then I will ask him to read independently.


Below are the online websites that I would suggest to help children literacy development.

www.ictgames.com


www.pbskids.org

www.primarygames.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 12 - Using Technology to Support Literacy

Assignment#2  Summarize what  you’ve  learned and describe what technological tools you’d like to integrate to support your literacy instru...